Friday, May 4, 2007

Southland Bookstore show

If any of you are near Maryville, Tennessee over the next four weeks, all my prints and four of my World War 2 oil paintings will be on display at the new Southland Bookstore location in Maryville.

During the bookstore's open house this Saturday, there will be an artist's reception from 5-6 pm (with foodstuffs from ArtyAppetites and new summer coffee samples)and the Doug Harris jazz band from 7 til 8 pm. Southland has a huge and varied collection of used books, a coffee bar, and a stained glass studio.

Southland Books' new location is at 801 E. Broadway, across Washington St. from the old store.

See you there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's today! Oh man it's right now, your time! I bet everyone is eating foodstuffs like crazy and plopping down cash for prints. How did it go? Was the jazz good? Post some photos if you feel like it.

Ken Smith said...

Really good jazz trio with a great singer. Southland Books seems to attract the most eclectic and unusual clientele (in Maryville certainly).

I had an interesting conversation with a little red-headed kid (5th grade, maybe), about Mosin Nagant rifles and the WW2 Eastern Front. Then the kid said, "But I'm really interested in the Punic Wars." Of course, I said, "The Punic Wars?!?" He says, "You know, Rome and Carthage?" And I was like, "Oh, yeah, I've heard of that."

Precocious doesn't begin to describe it.

And we also met a couple who were building a full-size Brachiosaurus in Oak Ridge.

Interesting evening.