Saturday, July 28, 2007

Murray Tinkelman

Murray Tinkelman is the director of the MFA in Illustration program at the University of Hartford, and is one of the most amazing people I've ever met.

He's crusty and outspoken, compassionate and caring; he knows everything that ever happened in the history of illustration (and has an opinion about it); and as a teacher, has had an astounding influence on a generation of artists.

Recently Zina Saunders posted a very interesting and enlightening interview with Murray on her blog at: http://www.drawger.com/zinasaunders/

Read it and enjoy; I know I did.

(PS: in case it's scrolled away by the time you read this, the article is: Murray Tinkelman Profile, posted on July 25, 2007)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really interesting interview, Ken. Thanks for posting it. I like the things you say about Murray. I like Zina's illustrations, too.

Linda Davick said...

"...I don’t know a dangling participle from a belly button."
Ken, this is one of the best interviews I've ever read. Was he your teacher? What did he say about your work? Did we ever call him for illustrations at Whittle?

Ken Smith said...

Murray's a great interview. We never used him a Whittle; he's about 75, and has mostly always done cross-hatched pen and ink realistic drawings (He used to be in an ad for Rapidograph back in the 70s). He's an amazing person to know. He was the director of the Syracuse program when I did that, and now he's director (and heart) of the Hartford program. And he's always pretty much like he sounds in that interview. He was very complimentary of my work and very encouraging about the directions I could take it. He, alone, was almost worth the price of admission to the program.