Thursday, June 28, 2007

Peter Pan, the Avenger!


Maud Adams will always be associated with the role of Peter Pan though she was not the first actress to play the part (Nina Boucicault has that distinction from the original London production). Adams did, however, play the part 237 times on Broadway (and thereupon entered the Peter Pan collar into the fashion vernacular). The actress was also responsible for the camouflage-style costume and the headgear with the jaunty feather (the original Peter Pan in London was bareheaded).

I have shown Peter Pan during the attack on Captain Hook's pirate ship, the Jolly Roger. Dropping his cloak to the floor, he exclaims, “Peter Pan, the Avenger!”

6 comments:

Sally said...

Ken, this is fabulous. I love how you did the fabric.

Ken Smith said...

Thanks Sally. The fabric is kind of a best guess based on a bunch of black and white period photographs. Not what you'd expect Peter Pan to look like.

Anonymous said...

Ken. It's wonderful. The shoes. the belts. The flag in the background. The cock-eyed Peter Pan collar. I love Maud's fashion sense if she was really responsible for the camouflage top and leggings, where the camouflage in one doesn't quite match the other. It is fantastic. This is my favorite one. Is this the last one?

Ken Smith said...

Thanks Linda. There's one more: Lillie Langtry as Rosalind. I've had the figure done for quite a while, but I'm struggling a bit with the forest background. Hopefully she'll be finished by Monday (since I have to have these ready to hang a week from Sunday)

The Peter Pan camo, by the way, is the same top and bottom, but she apparently appliqued large leaves on the top (they don't seem to be on the bottom). And I don't know what's up with the two belts; it's an eccentric little costume. The background is based on one stage photo I found of the pirate ship in the play. I took a bit of artistic license on the flag--the one in the play didn't look quite evil enough (for my taste, anyway).

Sally said...

Where is the exhibit going to be?

Ken Smith said...

The MFA exhibit will be in the U of Hartford Gallery.